Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 21, 2011

Translation/Definition Issues

I don't think there is too much elaboration I can do on this particular subject, however, I do think this is a problem. Christians try and adapt the words in the bible to their lives so they try to interpret the words that they see in the english translation and twist a verse to fit whatever situation. A lot of times, they take it wildly out of context to make the words work. This is crazy in itself, but when you pull back and try to look at the whole picture, you realize how crazy it is that people are doing this to a translation. In those old languages, words act differently. If you are educated a little bit on language, you know that words act in certain ways particular to the circumstances. I'll use an example of a double meaning of a word that me and my friend were talking about yesterday. She said, "I like your spunk". She meant I like your enthusiasm, but I joked with her and told her that spunk can also mean semen. This is true in slang terminology. People have to realize that language is only what humans make it. It's not something that is set in stone. If enough people start using a word, that's not technically a word in the english language, then it will eventually become one and be added to the dictionary. That happened with "bootylicious" a few years back when that term was popular. So the odds of one of those hebrew, aramaic, or greek sentences being sentences like the one above that could have a double meaning is likely. The odds of the person doing the translating the text, doing so wrong and choosing the wrong meaning for the word is also high. This isn't the only problem with translation, but it is the one that I'm going to highlight today.

No comments:

Post a Comment